Click to donate to
AMIS via Paypal
AMIS Online Shop
- European Middle School Honor Boys' Choir Festival and Asian Middle School Honor Boys' Choir Festival hotel arrangements posted. - 15 June, 2015
- Revised MSHB SmartMusic files posted.
Notes on SmartMusic: The SmartMusic files are for practicing the music, but may differ slightly from the sheet music (.pdf). The published sheet music for 2013-14 is the definitive version that must be followed for auditions. - posted 13 June, 2013; updated 14 June, 2013
- Honor Jazz Festival and Workshop Hotel Information posted. -posted 13 June, 2013
- The Festival Repertoire (.xls file) through the 2012-2013 season posted. - posted 13 June, 2013
- Auditions Posted - MSHB, HSHO, and MSHO. - posted 30 May, 2013
- From the HSHB Audition Revision Committee.
A reworking of the audition materials for High School Honor Band is in progress. We anticipate that the completed set of "new" audition materials will be posted no later than August 1. If it is possible to post it sooner we shall of course do so.
What should students practice in the meantime? Here are a few suggestions.
- Each audition will include a major scale with appropriate octaves, articulations and phrasing played with the metronome (This is similar to previous audition material.)
- Each audition will include a melodic minor scale played slowly with a metronome, demonstrating the best tone quality the player can use. (This material will be new to the audition.)
- Each audition will include a chromatic scale with appropriate octaves, articulations and phrasing played with a metronome. (This is similar to material used in previous auditions.)
- The required song excerpts are being revised. - posted 29 May, 2013
- Audition Posted - HSHMC and HSHWC. Contents: Instructions for Recording, Set A sung in Italian, Corrected Vocalises. -posted 28 May, 2013
- I am writing to tell you that Bonnie Reinitzer and Peter Lutkoski were unopposed in their applications to serve another term as members of the AMIS executive council. I am happy to announce their election to the AMIS executive council by acclamation. We are delighted they will be serving a three-year term on our governing body. Bonnie, as representative of the string teachers in AMIS, has asked that any string teachers who are not already on the ‘amis strings google doc forum’, should send Bonnie an email, (B.Reinitzer@ais.at) This group is a great forum for string teachers to share ideas and keep in touch.
While you are looking ahead to your activities for the future, think about what AMIS event you could be hosting for 2014-2015. We have had 4 schools contacting us about the event they wish to host. We still have another 12 to go, so join with us in trying to plan ahead for the future! -posted 17 May, 2013
- Audition materials are currently under review for MSHO, MSHB, HSO, HSHC,and HSHB to make sure they are up to date before being posted. Please do not give out old sets of audition materials. Up to date materials will be posted as soon as possible. -updated 12 May, 2013
- MSHBC Festivals - There will be two Middle School Honor Boys' Choir Festivals in October of 2013. They will be held simultaneously. Schools in Asia are expected to apply for the Asian Middle School Honor Boys' Choir, schools in Europe are expected to apply for the European Middle School Honor Boys' Choir, schools in the Middle East may apply for either festival.
Applications are now open for these festivals. The applications will close on May 22nd. If either festival is over-subscribed, a draw for places will take place on May 23rd. Schools will then be notified whether or not their applications have been successful.
Schools will be granted 6 places in the festival. They will be asked to accept their place in the festival no later than May 31. At that time music will be ordered for the festivals in order to be waiting for teachers at the beginning of the new school year. Invoices will be sent out at that time.
Eligibility: the festival is open to boys in grades 6-8. The festival is for both changed and unchanged voices. Most of the music will be in three parts, two treble parts and one "baritone" part. Teachers are asked to bring a balanced group of singers (2 on each part). If a school has only 1 baritone singer, they may bring 5 treble singers.
Registration fees for this festival now include the music fee. -updated 12 May, 2013
- Unfortunately we will not be able to hold the AMIS Workshop for Students and Teachers of IB Music
during the 2013-2014 academic year. Any school wishing to host the IB workshop during the 2014-2015 academic year should contact the Executive Director.
-updated 12 May, 2013
- Unfortunately we will not be able to hold the AMIS Circuit Training for Strings during the 2013-2014 academic year. Any school wishing to host Circuit Training during the 2014-2015 academic year in either Europe or Asia should contact the Executive Director.
-updated 12 May, 2013
- Updated Site for 2013-14 Festivals.
-updated 12 May, 2013
- New - Updated Fees for 2013-2014 -updated 12 May, 2013
- The jazz festival audition listening committee completed its work on Saturday evening, May 4, and has chosen the Honor Jazz Band and Honor Vocal Jazz Ensemble.
The online database will be ready for your acceptances by Sunday, May 12. You will have one week to submit the acceptances or non-acceptances. Please adhere to this deadline. If we need to contact alternates we would like to do so as early as possible. Remember, those students listed as alternates must also indicate whether or not they accept the alternate position and therefore commit to learning the music in case they are needed. - posted 7 May, 2013
- Executive Director Job Search - posted 15 April, 2013
- The Festival Eligibility policy was changed at the recent Executive Council meeting. - posted 6 April, 2013
We are rated!
Rated by Schoolzone's panel of expert teachers.
- Need help with your tapes? - Recording
Resource Guide by Jon Hodge, Heidelberg High School. This
is an updated reprint of his presentation at the 2002 ECIS Conference.
Thank you, Jon, for letting us reprint this in .pdf format.
- Portfolio Assessment
in Music by Pete Lutkoski
(from a presentation with Jim Yarnell
- The online home of Rick's Place: HeinSite
- New - in Adobe Reader format
Hosting Handbooks and Directors'
Download and print
- Jazz Discography -
What is some good jazz that students and teachers could listen
to? Answers from Rick Hein, Jim Yarnell, Bob Rigter, Laura Lentz & Jon
Hodge. Any additions? - E-mail